Latin Syntax I
Study Cycle: 1
Lecturer(s): doc. dr. Weiss Sonja, izr. prof. dr. Hriberšek Matej
The course continues the intensive Latin course from the 1st year of study.
Topics to be studied in the 1st semester:
- Consolidation and extension of the knowledge of morphology; broadening of the vocabulary
- Syntactic use of Latin cases
- Complex syntactic structures: gerundsand gerundives in gerundive phrases; the use of moods and tenses in dependent clauses; connecting relative pronoun; indirect discourse
- Syntactic analysis of lengthier complex texts
- Word formation: derivatives and compounds (nouns, adjectives, verbs)
Topics to be studied in the 2 nd semester:
- Forming complex sentences, translating short texts into Latin using more sophisticated foreign-language dictionaries.