Lecturer(s): prof. dr. Kocijančič Pokorn Nike
The focus will be on:
- the field of translation theory and its terminology;
- the history of translation theory (Cicero, St Jerome, Martin Luther, Friedrich Schleiermacher);
- the milestones in the development of translation theory (Walter Benjamin, Roman Jakobson, Jacques Derrida, Paul Ricoeur);
- ethical turn in translation theory (Antoine Berman, Henri Meschonnic, Paul Ricoeur);
- Eugene Nida’s science of translation;
- Skopos theory of Hans Vermeer, translation as profession in Slovenia and its deontology (Christiane Nord, Erich Prunč, Andrew Chesterman);
- Systemic/Descriptive translation theory (Gideon Toury and Itamar Even-Zohar);
- Cultural turn in translation theory (André Lefevere);
- cultural materialism in translation theory (Lawrence Venuti);
- feminist translation theory;
- postcolonial translation theory;
- sociology of translation.
All topics are discussed by focusing on ethical aspects and on ethical consequences of translational and translatorial decisions.